In unexpected news out of Pittsburgh, we’ve learned that Kris Letang suffered a stroke last week and will miss at least six weeks before being reevaluated for a potential return. The news was announced today by Penguins GM and Executive Vice President, Ray Shero.
“Kris had one brief episode of dizziness and nausea last week,” Shero said. “We held him out of the Los Angeles game Thursday night, and when he continued to feel ill, tests conducted in Phoenix on Saturday gave us the first indication of his condition. Further testing then was conducted when he returned to Pittsburgh, and he continued to undergo a battery of tests here this week.”
While Letang has been cleared by medical staff to vacation with his family during the Olympic break, he will not see any game action until he is reevaluated by Dr. Dharmesh Vyas and his UPMC staff. It will be at least six weeks until Letang will visit the doctors again for another evaluation.
In the mean time, it is expected that Letang will resume skating on his own following his family vacation and the Olympic break. He will also begin talking to the media again following this break.
Despite the scare associated with having a stroke, Letang is using his NHL status to help promote awareness.
“I hope that by making my condition public at this time, I can help other people by encouraging them to seek medical help if they experience some of the symptoms associated with a stroke – regardless of their age or general health,” Letang said. “It
obviously was a shock to get the news but I’m optimistic that I can overcome this and get back on the ice.”
Obviously Letang’s health is the number one concern. We wish him the best and a healthy recovery from this scare.